Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

If you’ve received an unconditional offer to study a full-time course at Mont Rose College, request a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) as soon as possible before applying for the Student Route visa.

You must upload your supporting documents, then submit your CAS request via the Online Student Information System (Quercus) up to 6 months prior to the course start date.

Read our FAQ section for the latest UKVI information on student visa applications. CAS applicants from overseas can find up-to-date information in our information for applicants section. CAS requests from within the UK are only accepted if you meet the Student Route visa requirements and can submit your student visa application before the ‘stage two’ enrolment for your specific course.


  • Important notice about securing a student visa with CAS

    Having a CAS does not guarantee that you will be successful in securing a student visa. Mont Rose College is not responsible for any decisions made by the Home Office and will not accept liability for any student failing to obtain a visa and/or for any losses incurred.

    Points to help you avoid a visa refusal

    A CAS is only valid for six months from the date it is issued.

    When you make your student visa application you must include all original documents stated on your CAS, where required (low-risk nationals do not need to submit original documents). Failure to do so could result in a visa refusal.

    If you are applying for your student visa from inside the UK your course must start within 28 days of your current visa expiry date.

    If your current visa is due to expire soon or has expired then you should contact the CAS team urgently.

    CAS is at the College’s discretion

    The issuing of a CAS is at the College’s discretion and Mont Rose College reserves the right not to issue a CAS under certain circumstances. This includes:

    • insufficient time to make a successful student visa application
    • unlikely to arrive before the latest course start date
    • incorrect or insufficient funds to meet the requirements
    • not have the required maintenance funds
    • if documents submitted are deemed to be fraudulent
    • CAS request is submitted after the latest course start date deadline
    • Student has exceeded (or will exceed by the end of their course) the maximum time allowed on a student visa.
  • Scholarships and government loans

    If your studies are being funded (partially or fully) by a scholarship, international organisation or government, you will need to inform us when you request your CAS.

    Loan letters must state that the loan is offered in one of the following ways:

    • provided by the national government;
    • provided by the state or regional government;
    • provided by a government-sponsored student loan company;
    • Part of an academic or educational loans scheme.
  • What is the processing time for a CAS?

    The processing time for each CAS is unique and depends on the documents that we need to assess. You can help to speed up the process by providing all documents in a timely manner. If all the documents are correct, it usually takes around 2-4 weeks to issue a CAS.

  • Do I need an ATAS certificate?

    Students intending to study certain science or engineering postgraduate level (RQF7) will need to apply for an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate. You can apply for an ATAS certificate up to nine months before the start date of your course.

    Find out if you need an ATAS certificate.

    You must carefully check all your personal details and your passport information. Any errors on the ATAS certificate will delay your CAS application, as you will need to obtain a new ATAS certificate.

  • Do I need a Tuberculosis certificate?

    A Tuberculosis (TB) medical certificate is required if you are coming to the UK for more than six months and are a resident of one of the countries listed on the UK Government’s Tuberculosis tests for visa applicants web-page.

    You must be tested at an approved UKVI clinic. Some countries don’t have approved testing centres so you will need to get tested in a neighbouring country.

    If you would usually require a TB certificate but have resided in a country for at least six months that does not require a TB certificate, you will be exempt from this requirement. You must upload a written explanation of your circumstances with any relevant residence permits.

  • Can I bring a dependant on a Student Route visa?

    Your partner and children (‘dependants’) may be able to apply to come to the UK or stay longer in the UK.

    You must be one of the following:

    • A full-time student on a postgraduate level course (RQF level 7 or above) that lasts nine months or longer
    • A new government-sponsored student on a course that lasts longer than six months
    • A Doctorate Extension Scheme student

    For more information, visit the UK Government’s Student visa ‘Your partner and children’ page.

  • Does my dependent require a CAS?

    Your dependent does not require a CAS but you need to show enough funds for your dependents while making a CAS request.

    If you will study in London, each dependant must show £845 for each month of immigration permission you have been granted (if your dependants are applying after you have received your permission) or will be granted (if your dependants are applying at the same time as you). This is up to a maximum of nine months (therefore, a maximum figure of £7,605).

    To find out more how much money your dependent(s) will require, visit the UK Government’s Student visa family member’s page.

  • As an international student, am I required to have 100% attendance?

    The College Attendance Policy clearly states that students are expected to attend all scheduled teaching events

    The compliance team are required to monitor your engagement with your studies. If your level of attendance raises concerns, the compliance team will investigate your situation. Lengthy periods of absence could result in the withdrawal of your student visa.

    Please read the College Attendance Policy and ensure that you fully understand the requirements.

  • How often do I need to update my contact details?

    You need to confirm your contact details after every 3 months; a reminder email will be sent. Any changes must be updated on Quercus under the personal details section.

  • Can I work whilst studying?

    Your BRP card or Digital Immigration Status will display the number of hours that you are permitted to work during term time.

    You are permitted to work full-time hours outside of official term time and after you have completed your course whilst in your extant leave. A course completion letter can be requested from the faculty student office if an employer requires confirmation that you have completed your studies.

  • If my financial situation changes and I cannot pay my fees, what action do I need to take?

    If you are unable to pay any outstanding fees, you will need to contact your student office and the finance department by emailing

    If you miss any payments, your status will be suspended. Whilst you are suspended, you will not have any access to your student account. This includes your student email and Moodle access. This will only be reinstated once you have paid the outstanding fees.

  • Do I need to notify the College if I am travelling outside the UK?

    You are permitted to travel outside of your official term time and do not require permission.

    If you are required to travel outside the UK during your official term time, you must obtain an Authorised Absence letter by contacting your student office and the attendance team at

    This will only be issued in exceptional circumstances.