If you don’t have what you like, you must like what you have Second National Lockdown.
With the Second National Lockdown in place and the days shorter and gloomier, your mood is surely far from cheerful. We cannot change the Covid situation, but maybe we will manage to plant some positive thoughts in your mind, that will help you go through the difficult times, following the Pollyanna’s philosophy: If you don’t have what you like, you must like what you have.
- You managed to get through the first one, you can get through this one too. First of all – you have no other choice. Secondly – you already know what it feels like, so you are better prepared mentally. Thirdly – it’s wintertime, the temptation to spend time outside is lower, so there is not really much to regret by staying at a nice, warm and cosy home.
- You’ve learnt from the previous experience. You know what it takes to work and live in the same place, so you will avoid mistakes you might have made the first time. Your survival instinct will not let you suffer. You will remember to move your “office” from the bedroom; limit your visits to the fridge; take up a new hobby; facetime your friends and family if you can’t meet them in person.
- You are strong enough to go through it. You may not think that way, but it is only because you underestimate the power of your own mind. You can control your thoughts and eliminate the negative ones that only increase your worries. Search for some mind relaxation techniques, like yoga, and choose the one that suits you most. Watch a positive movie, challenge yourself to finally finish the housework that you have always wanted to complete but never had time (yeah, right…).
- DIY. What do you mean, it’s impossible to live normally without restaurants, museums, beauty and hair salons, gyms, BBQs, parties? Why? Have you tried cooking? Maybe you too are able to produce a Michelin star dish. Galleries and museums – you can have a virtual tour. You can even try to find a secret artistic talent within yourself. As for beauty – give your skin a break and promote this ‘au naturel’ Grow your hair and try new styles. Convert home furniture into exercise equipment. Replace treadmill with jogging in the park, use a real bike when you go shopping. Invest in a skipping rope. Barbecues? Parties? Seriously? For the outdoor activities it is too cold, and regarding parties – isn’t it time you slow down a bit? Enjoy your own company, get to know yourself better – at the end of the day it is yourself who you will spend the rest of your life with. Better make him/her your best friend.
- It will end. Like everything in life, Covid too will sooner or later disappear, although it doesn’t feel like it right now. You’d better focus on making plans on what to do with all this world of fantastic opportunities being reopened and when you will be spoilt for choices again…
Written by KP, based on: Mental Health Mates Oldham